Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Bike Tools & Accessories

Over the last few days, I've bought a few things to get ready for ebike life.  As you may know, I have a great toolbox with almost everything a homeowner should have.   When I started viewing the videos about RadMission assembly, I found that I might not have been quite ready.

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up three tools,  Here's what I got and why.
  • 3/8 In. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench - Believe it or not, I've never owned (and never even used) a torque wrench before.  I taught myself bike mechanics when I was a preteen/teenager and tightened everything by feel.   Torqueing bolts to a specific is much more scientific and the manufacturer provides those measures, so I can be sure that the bike is built correctly.
  • 3/8 In. Drive Metric Long Reach Hex Bit Socket Set, 7 Pc. -  The ebike has almost no hex nuts, but instead metric Allen bolts, so in order to make use of the new torque wrench, I needed these.
  • 5 In. Micro Flush Cutters - I think I have a pair of these that are missing the spring and when I saw the various unboxing and assembly videos. there are lots of Zip ties holding stuff together and I didn't want to use something dull or unsprung.


I then decided to order a couple of things from the Amazon folks,
  • Bike Pedal Wrench Bicycle Spanner - I've always used a small adjustable wrench to install pedals, but I wanted to be fancier for some reason (the width of the wrench is very important in pedal installation).
  • Nite Ize Wraptor - I like most of the things from the Nite Ize people. This is a way to mount a smartphone on your bicycle handlebars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greenville SC - Ebike Trip - Day 1

 We had our first ebike trip this weekend.   We are spending a long weekend in Greenville, SC.   Greenville is home to the Swamp Rabbit Trai...